Sunday, November 10, 2013

Some things I'm learning

It seems I'm learning everyday! New ways to engage specific students, new ways to get their attention when they are off in daydream land, new ways to teach in an exciting and fun way. This is a list of some of the things I've been learning the past couple months, some about teaching, some about Oklahoma/my kiddos.

1. Children in Oklahoma say, "I have to use it" when they need to go to the bathroom. The first two weeks every time they told me that I asked, "use what?". Don't worry, I've got it down by now.
2. They are not used to cold (even coldish) weather. While I may be comfortable in capris and sandals on a 55 degree day, they are bringing their winter coats. I have to remember to let them take their jackets even if it is not cold outside.
3. My room will never look the same at the end of the day as it does at the beginning. Learning is messy! I'm trying to incorporate a couple of minutes for clean up at the end of each day.
4. Randomly my children all burst out laughing at me. I get a confused look and one of my goodies will tell me I'm still talking funny. A 7 year old informed me that he was going to ask the speech therapist if she had time for me in her day because I say strange things like "goodness gracious" and my words sometimes sound funny. I guess I say math funny, but if I say mathematics, it's ok. Who would have thought my students would analyse my accent so much?
5. Past tenses of verbs are a very hard concept. The often say, "we goed to music", so trying to teach them that went is the correct word is really difficult. I think we will need more time on this than I originally thought.
6. When in doubt, ask. My staff is AMAZING and will help with anything and everything! I am so blessed to be a part of this school!
7. Team teaching makes life easier. We plan together, help find worksheets, take turns creating materials and bounce ideas off of each other, and take turns disciplining when our students just aren't getting it. I would be be lost without my wonderful second grade team!
8. My kids often surprise me with what they know, both good and bad. Sometimes I hug them for knowing something far beyond the realm of second grade. Other times I try really hard not to let my jaw hang slack while I reel at the fact that they have seen particular movies. Honestly, when we talked about Abraham Lincoln, one of my students thought he killed vampires.
9. I'm adjusting to the weather. I got used to the air being on all summer because it was so stinking hot outside. I love that we could go camping in October in the mountains (so beautiful!) and sleep in a tent without freezing. I love that it is half way through November and I have worn my spring jacket exactly twice (and once it was raining, so more of a barrier than anything else). I am getting used to the constant wind.
10. I have 22 children and love them all!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking interest. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.