Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Multiple Intelligences

I found this wonderful kid-friendly site to test my student's multiple intelligences. I integrated a computer station into after Illinois State Achievement Testing activities, so that my students could each take the test and I would have a better understanding of where their strengths lie. Ideally, I would have done this at the beginning of the year, but since I am just now able to officially take over the classroom (planning included), this is when it got accomplished.

Each student took the test. Some students I was surprised at their lack of confidence in their skills, as I thought some should have been much higher. Others tested right where I would have predicted them to test. The surprising thing, however, was how many of my students tested high in musical abilities. By taking a look at my results, it is clear that musical abilities are lacking, at best. So this is where my research began.

What can I do for these musical students?! I want to bring out their strong points and give them choices in how they are assessed based on the multiple intelligences, but how when I am so musically ungifted? My research tells me to allow students to write song lyrics related to the learned subject, preform a self written rap or make up sounds and sound effects. These options I can handle. The others included: giving presentations with appropriate musics accompaniment, write a new ending to a composition that explains the learned material, create a musical collage to depict the learned material and presenting a short musical on the learned material. How do I go about having my students be able to do the last set of things when I, myself couldn't do them?

I have a starting point (the easier ones), but I want to make this more meaningful for my students and to be able to incorporate this throughout the rest of the school year. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking interest. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.